Helpful Links

You’re planning your wedding and you realise that you’ve got lots of questions. Well….. this page of helpful links is where you can find the answers.

Here are some helpful links that you might need when you’re planning your marriage ceremony and if you’re still not too sure, then please give me a call and I will do my best to help you make sense of it all.


The Notice of Intended Marriage form should be completed, signed and lodged with an authorised celebrant no earlier than 18 months and no later than 1 month before the date of your marriage ceremony

Notice of Intended Marriage (NOIM) Form

If you are thinking of changing your name after your marriage ceremony you will need to complete a

Marriage Certificate application form

The certificate that you receive on the day of your marriage is not sufficient for changing your name with government departments i.e.: passport and driver’s licence.

* For more information about changing your name after marriage  – click here

*** NEW in WA ***

Online Marriage Certificate Portal

You can now apply online to the BDM WA for a copy of your official Marriage Certificate.  Just give it 2-3 weeks after your marriage ceremony for your marriage to be registered.


The Happily Ever After brochure is full of valuable information and is a requirement of the Marriage Act 1961 that celebrants pass this brochure on to marrying couples.  This brochure is also available in different languages here at the: Attorney General Website

Happily Ever Before and After brochure


If your ID or documents are in a language other than English, you will need to contact an official translator and have all the documents translated into English.  This must be done before the ceremony can take place.

Naati – National Accreditation Authority for Translators and Interpreters


If either party to the marriage and/or their witnesses have limited English skills, then it may be necessary to engage an interpreter – you will discuss this with your celebrant, however the ultimate decision as to whether an interpreter will be used for completing the NOIM for and/or the marriage ceremony is up to the celebrant.
Contact: Helen
0412 939 949

Government Services

Location of Australian Embassies

Birth Deaths and Marriages WA

Changing your surname

Attorney-General’s Department

Authorised Translation services

Department of Immigration and Border Control

Information for Overseas Marriages

Complaints against celebrants

Relationship Services

Your celebrant is required under the Marriage Act 1961 subsection 42(5A) and regulation 39A of the Marriage Regulations 1963 to give you this Happily Ever After brochure.

Relationship Counselling in the Geraldton area

Family Relationships Online
1800 050 321

Family Relationship Centre Geraldton
116 Durlacher Street, Geraldton
08 9921 2611

Midwest Clinical Psychology
08 9921 8853
28 Sanford Street, Geraldton