Happily Ever Before and After

Happily Ever … Before and After

Your celebrant is required to give you a copy of the Happily Ever Before and After pamphlet before you can go ahead with your marriage ceremony.

Happily Ever After Brochure


It is always issued during the initial meeting, and serves to inform couples who have just completed their Notice of Intended Marriage (NOIM), about available relationship services, education and advice.

Why is this pamphlet so important?

The reason is that the Happily Ever Before and After pamphlet acts as a fall-back measure, to ensure that couples getting married understand exactly what they are about to enter into. With all the stresses of work, children, paying a mortgage or loan, and general day-to-day, it is vitally important that couples are prepared for the road that lies ahead.

The  Happily Ever Before and After pamphlet assumes that every couple requires some sort of advice, counselling or education, even though some couples may believe otherwise.

Is it compulsory to seek relationship advice or education?

While relationship counselling and education is not compulsory for couples wanting a secular (non religious) ceremony, it may be worth considering talking to a relationship counsellor, just to ensure that you are fully prepared for marriage and all it’s complexities.

You can download a copy of the brochure as a Document here so you can print it out…. if your first language is not English, then you may find a copy of the brochure in a language you prefer here

Or if you’d prefer, I have copied the information from the brochure below so you can just read it right here…

Happily Ever….. Before and After

This information is provided pursuant to subsection 42(5A) of the Marriage Act 1961 and regulation 39A of the Marriage Regulations 1963

Marriage is Important

Your celebrant is handing you this document because the decision to marry is one of the biggest decisions a couple can make. Marriage is a significant step which will bring a number of changes for you, your spouse and your family. This document tells you:

  • the process of getting married in Australia,
  • some important legal consequences of getting married, and
  • where relationship support services, such as marriage education, family counselling or dispute resolution services may be obtained.

Getting Married In Australia

In Australia, marriage is regulated by the Marriage Act 1961, which sets out the process for getting married and the legal requirements of a valid marriage.

There are five steps to getting married in Australia:

1️⃣ A completed Notice of Intended Marriage form must be given to your celebrant at least one month (and up to 18 months) before the wedding.

2️⃣ You and your partner must provide your celebrant with evidence of your date and place of birth, identity and the end of any previous marriages.

3️⃣ You must both sign the ‘Declaration of no legal impediment to marriage’. By signing the Declaration, you declare that you believe that you are of marriageable age, and that there is no legal impediment to your marriage.

4️⃣ On your wedding day, your celebrant will solemnise your marriage. Your celebrant will then ask you, your partner and your witnesses to sign up to three marriage certificates.

5️⃣ After your wedding, your marriage celebrant will register
the marriage with the Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages in the State or Territory where your marriage took place.

Health and welfare benefits

If you receive health or welfare benefits, you will need to contact the relevant agencies to advise them that you have married. These agencies will advise you if your benefits will change. You may lose benefits and even be penalised if you fail to tell them you have married within a reasonable time after the wedding.

Changing your name

Any person who marries may choose to take their spouse’s surname. You are not legally required to take your spouse’s surname once you are married.

If you wish to take your spouse’s surname, you must obtain a certificate of marriage issued by your state or territory Registry of Births, Deaths and Marriages. This is usually sufficient evidence to have your personal documentation (eg. driver’s licence) changed to your married surname.

The certificate you received on your wedding day is ceremonial and will not meet the identity requirements of many government agencies, such as the passport office.


If you marry an Australian citizen, you do not have an automatic right to Australian citizenship. You will still need to apply for citizenship and satisfy the eligibility criteria.

You can obtain further information from the Department of Immigration and Border Protection website at www.immi.gov.au.

Making a will

Marriage will invalidate any previous wills unless your will clearly shows you were planning this marriage when you made it.

It is important that you make a new will when your personal circumstances change. This ensures that you have a valid will that gives effect to your intentions about how you want your assets to be distributed in the event of your death. A solicitor can help you make or change a will.

Taxation after marriage

When you marry, the amount of taxation you pay may change. It is advisable to contact the Australian Taxation Office, a tax agent or an accountant before marriage to discuss any tax implications.

Before marriage: Marriage Education

Solid relationships set you up to meet the changes and challenges of life. It is important to develop good communication and sound relationship skills early, so that you can fall back on these skills during difficult times.

Pre-marriage education prepares couples for marriage by providing skills and information to build lifelong marriages. Courses are also available to explore the added dimension and complexity brought to a marriage by children from a previous relationship.

During marriage: Family Counselling

Keeping relationships on track is not always easy. Relationship problems can arise at various stages of our lives. While having a shaky moment does not mean your relationship is in trouble, it may be a sign that you could do with some help.

Family counselling can help couples come to terms with the many changes that happen during a marriage, such as the personal and interpersonal issues to do with children and family. Family counsellors can help you work through emotional problems with your spouse or partner, or to reach agreement about your parental responsibilities.

Marriage breakdown: Family Dispute Resolution

Family Dispute Resolution (FDR) can help separating couples to reach agreement about property, money, and—most importantly—any children. The law requires separating families who have a parenting dispute to make a genuine effort to try to sort it out through FDR.

An accredited FDR Practitioner can help you discuss issues, look at options, and reach agreement. Importantly, FDR can help you to develop a parenting plan to set out arrangements for any children.

Marriage brochure